Personal Statement Re Applying For Food Stamps

For more than 40 years, the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program has been providing food assistance for low-income families around the United States.

The benefits and participation in the program (formerly known as the Food Stamp Program, or food stamps) have changed drastically in that time, but plenty of misconceptions have stuck around. Unfortunately, these misconceptions may prevent people from supporting the program.

Or worse: Lingering stereotypes may dissuade you from using assistance when you need it.

Who Uses SNAP?

Let’s start by clearing up the stereotypes.

Here are a few basic facts about SNAP participants:

  • Nearly two-thirds of SNAP participants are children, seniors or people with disabilities. Just 18% are non-elderly adults (able-bodied or disabled) without children.
  • SNAP isn’t tied to unemployment. Participants face work requirements, and among households where someone is able, more than 75% are working within a year of receiving benefits.
  • Few SNAP recipients receive other government income. About 8% receive TANF (temporary assistance), and 21% receive SSI, supplementary income for seniors and people with disabilities.
  • Food assistance gives people access to healthier food — and they use it. A dramatic change from 40 years ago, nutrient intake of low-income people today is about the same as that of higher-income people, in part because of programs like SNAP.

You May Qualify and Not Even Know It

Even though they’re aware of the program and how to apply, less than half of all eligible people realize they could receive food assistance through SNAP.

The majority (69%) say they would apply if they knew they were eligible.

Would you?

Simply put, “not exploring food stamps and other benefits when you are struggling is really dumb,” explains Max Wong at Wisebread.

Before you read judgment in Wong’s statement, know she’s saying this from personal experience. For years, she didn’t apply for food assistance, even though she was living below the poverty line.

“I had a job, and I didn’t know that most people who receive food assistance also worked,” Wong wrote.

More than a select few people are missing out on benefits because of similar misconceptions. According to a 2012 USDA study on the SNAP program:

  • 44% of eligible able-bodied adults without children are not receiving benefits
  • 40% of eligible working, low-income families are not receiving benefits
  • 58% of all eligible nonparticipants would qualify for more than $100/month
  • 35% of all eligible nonparticipants would qualify for more than $200/month

The number-one reason they cite for not participating is they don’t realize they’re eligible to receive benefits.

Is your family missing out? Your household may be eligible if…

1. You have few assets and no emergency fund.

Eligible households may have up to $2,250 in “countable resources,” such as a bank account. These are similar to what we consider when we ask you to tally your net worth, but a lot of assets are exempt.

Your home, land and retirement account most likely don’t count against this total. Most states don’t count the value of your vehicles against that total, as long as you use it for transportation.

If anyone in the household is at least 60 years old or disabled, the limit on countable resources is $3,250.

If you receive Social Security Income (SSI) or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), your resources don’t count at all.

2. Your net income is less than 130% of the poverty level.

Most households have to meet the income test to qualify for assistance. The program sets limits for both gross and net income.

Exceptions include:

  • households in which all members receive TANF, SSI or, in some places, general assistance
  • households with an elderly (60+) or disabled person may only need to meet the net (not the gross) income test.

Gross income is your household’s total income.

Net income is your gross income minus any of these deductions that apply:

  • 20% deduction from earned income — income you make from paid work (i.e. this doesn’t include income from investments, gifts or other non-work sources)
  • Subtract $155 for a household of 1-3 people, $168 for 4 people, $197 for 5 people and $226 for 6 or more people. (This deduction is higher in Hawaii and Alaska.)
  • Subtract the amount you pay for dependent care while you’re at work, in training or going to school.
  • Subtract medical expenses for elderly or disabled household members, as long as they’re more than $35/month and not covered by insurance or someone else.
  • You can deduct the cost of some utilities, up to a limit. See details here.

For example, if your household is two adults with two kids in your custody, your household size is four.

If each adult receives a paycheck from work for $200 per week, your household’s gross income is about ($200 x 2 people)(4 weeks) = $1,600 per month.

You’ll subtract 20%, which is $320, and you’ll subtract the standard deduction of $168. So your net income will be no more than $1,112.

You might also deduct cost of childcare, medical expenses and utilities, bringing your net income even lower.

For the 48 contiguous U.S. states and Washington, D.C., monthly income limits, by household size, are:

  • 1 person: $1,276 gross income, $981 net income
  • 2 people: $1,726 gross, $1,328 net
  • 3 people: $2,177 gross, $1,675 net
  • 4 people: $2,628 gross, $2,021 net

See the full list of SNAP income limits here. Limits are higher in Alaska and Hawaii.

3. You’re working, retired or unable to work.

Adults between 18-59 must meet work requirements to be eligible for SNAP. They include:

  • not voluntarily quitting a job or reducing hours
  • taking a job if you receive an offer

Able-bodied adults age 18-49 without dependents (ABAWD) who aren’t working can only receive SNAP benefits for three months in a three-year period.

To exceed that limit, ABAWDs have to work or participate in a work program for at least 20 hours a week.

You’re exempt from work requirements if you’re pregnant, caring for a child or incapacitated household member, or if you can’t work for physical or mental health reasons.

Like any government program, the devil is in the details. You’ll need to look at specific requirements for your state and see how they match up with your work and family situation.

You might be surprised to learn you’re eligible for food assistance, even if it’s just to get through a rough patch.

Where to Apply (and Find Someone to Answer Your Questions)

OK, I’ve boiled this down as much as I can. But every household is different, and you’ll probably come up with a question I didn’t answer here.

Visit the USDA’s SNAP website for all program information.

You can also call a hotline dedicated to SNAP benefits questions in your state. State– and region-specific numbers are listed here.

Or talk to a representative with your questions at your local SNAP office.

To apply, fill out the online application for your state — each state has its own. In Georgia, Hawaii, Missouri, Mississippi, Alaska, Oklahoma, South Dakota or Wyoming, you’ll have to go to your local office to fill out an application.

Your Turn: Are you surprised by any of these facts about SNAP eligibility?

Dana Sitar (@danasitar) is a staff writer at The Penny Hoarder. She’s written for Huffington Post,, Writer’s Digest and more, attempting humor wherever it’s allowed (and sometimes where it’s not).

The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program is the new name for the Food Stamp program. These benefits are used to buy food and help eligible low-income households in Pennsylvania obtain more nutritious diets by increasing their food purchasing power at grocery stores and supermarkets. If you are eligible, you will receive a Pennsylvania Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) ACCESS Card which is used to make food purchases at grocery stores and supermarkets.


How to Apply: There are a couple of different ways to apply for SNAP, please choose the option that suits you. If you do not know if you are eligible, you may still apply.

If you need help completing the application form or need more information about benefits, trained county assistance office staff can help you.

The following persons may apply: 

  • The head of the household;
  • The spouse of the head of household;
  • Any other responsible household member; or
  • A designated authorized representative, who can be a friend, relative, neighbor, or anyone else the applicant trusts to go food shopping and use his/her SNAP benefits.

Simple SNAP Application for Elderly or Disabled Households
You can use this application for SNAP benefits if everyone in the household is age 60 or older or disabled and purchases and prepares food together and does not receive any earnings from work. A household is a group of people who usually purchase and prepare meals together. People in the household are not required to be related.


What are the minimum and maximum monthly benefit amounts?

Beginning October 2017:

Family Size12345678910Each Additional

Through September 2018:

Family Size12345678910Each Additional

The minimum benefit for eligible households is $15.


More information about the eligibility requirements for SNAP can be found in the SNAP Handbook.

What is SNAP infographic

How do SNAP benefits Work?
SNAP benefits are placed in an "electronic" account that only the recipient can use. This system is called Electronic Benefits Transfer or EBT. The eligible household receives a plastic card, the Pennsylvania EBT ACCESS Card. This card allows withdrawals for food purchases at grocery stores and supermarkets. The store simply uses the EBT ACCESS card to "electronically" subtract purchases from the SNAP account. The eligible household can only spend the amount that is in the account. This is not a credit card.

What are the income eligibility requirements?
To get SNAP benefits, your income has to be under certain limits. SNAP households may receive deductions from their gross income for things like housing costs, child or dependent care payments, and medical expenses over $35 for elderly or disabled people.

Questions Regarding SNAP Benefits
If you have questions about SNAP you may call the Department of Human Services Helpline toll-free at 1-800-692-7462 (1-800-451-5886 TDD number for individuals with hearing impairments) or your local county assistance office.

How do I check the balance for my SNAP benefits to know how much I have?

  • The best way to know your balance is to keep your last receipt.
  • If you lose your last receipt and need to know your balance, call the recipient hotline, 24 hours a day/7 days a week, at 1-888-EBT-PENN(1-888-328-7366).
  • Information is also available online at

How can I figure out how to feed my family healthful foods on a lower budget?
The United States Department of Agriculture provides several resources to help you prepare healthy meals on a low budget:

Pennsylvania provides additional information about healthy eating through Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed).

The SNAP Recipe Finder helps you create cookbooks and shopping lists. Use it to search for recipes based on total cost or cost per serving.

What should I do if I need food right away?
Contact your regional food bank and ask for the nearest food distribution site. For information on food banks in your area visit or contact your local county assistance office.


General Information About SNAP

A Blueprint for a Hunger-Free Pennsylvania

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamp) Policy Handbook

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education

U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and Nutrition Web site


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture; Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights; 1400 Independence Avenue, SW; Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or

(3) email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider. 



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *